The first attempt to form an organization was started in 1915, when there were 34 incorporated municipalities in the state. In 1928, an association was officially organized as the Municipal League of New Mexico. In 1934, the League was operating out of Albuquerque City Hall. League operations were suspended from 1939-1953 during World War II and the Korean War.
Temporary headquarters were established in Santa Fe in 1958 and the first League employee was hired. Donald C. Rider was selected as the first League Executive Director in 1959. The organization's official name was changed to the New Mexico Municipal League in 1961. Currently there are 105 incorporated municipalities in New Mexico, all of which are dues paying members of the New Mexico Municipal League. The League remains headquartered in Santa Fe.
NMML Board of Directors Historical Directory (PDF)